7 replies to this topic

Beets

Beets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
So this morning I made these lovely salmon cakes (no flours--yay) with ginger mayo. At the end, they were really good. But in the time I spent picking tiny bones out of my salmon I could have poached a side of fish. I bought some groovy-sounding wild-caught sustainable brand of salmon. Do they all have bones? Any brand recs? Or do you just eat the bones?

Thanks!

My second W30 log is here. My first, from way back in 4/13, is here. After that, I explored various degrees of AIP eating and off-roading in my post-W30 log

AToE

AToE

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
I just look for the spine and specifically spend a moment mashing that up really well, the rib bones I've honestly never even noticed in there I think they break down while sitting in the can so that they just fall apart.

Joey

Joey

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
I just eat em. I consider em a nutritional bonus except when one is still sharp enough to poke me in the gums, then I consider it a built in toothpick.

LadyM

LadyM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • LocationMidwest United States
Yep, made that mistake once. I now make sure the can says BONELESS and SKINLESS. Trader Joe's has a nice one with no added salt. I stock up there. Love salmon cakes!

In dreams begin responsibilities.--W.B.Yeats

My second Whole 30: March 2014

JJB

JJB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationOregon
I bought my first canned salmon a few months ago and was disgusted to see bones and skin in there! Eck! Now I buy the smaller cans that specifically say boneless/skinless.

Beets

Beets

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,292 posts
  • LocationBrooklyn, NY
Ok. So the bones are a matter of preference.

Thanks guys.

My second W30 log is here. My first, from way back in 4/13, is here. After that, I explored various degrees of AIP eating and off-roading in my post-W30 log

Kirsteen

Kirsteen

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1,816 posts
  • LocationGlasgow, Scotland
Yep, I spend so long making bone broth and trying to squeeze every last bit of goodness out of them that I consider the bones in salmon a freebie :)

CraftyCarnivore

CraftyCarnivore

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationChicago 'burbs
Beets, Costco sells the Bear and Wolf brand. It's very similar in texture to tuna.
-Lesley
"If I cannot have too many plantains, then I shall have no plantains."

Whole 43.33 #1 - March 17 - April 29, 2013.
Whole 30 #2 - Started May 14 -- FAIL!
Whole 30 #2.1 - Started Aug 18 -- lasted two weeks
Whole 30 #2.2 - Starts Sep 23 --

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users