24 replies to this topic

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
  • LocationSeattle WA, USA
Full disclosure, I'm not a vegetarian or vegan. But I am intrigued by the idea of accomplishing Whole 30 on just plant foods. It seems to me that it is in fact very doable, even without introducing legumes, eggs, meat, etc. The key however would be to eat WAY MORE greens than even the average vegetarian would eat.

Many green vegetables are actually great sources of complete proteins.

For example: Broccoli.. 1 cup of broccoli provides 3g of protein, and from a protein quality score (PQS) perspective it scores an 83, with large/balanced amounts for all the essential amino acids.

The average adult should consume between 0.8-1.8gm/kg. If you're mostly sedentary, then you need the low end, if you're an active athlete, you need on the high end.

So, for example, a 130lbs (59kg) woman who is a casual exerciser, might need 0.8g/kg. So she would need 47 gm of protein a day.

Now, 15 cups of broccoli might sound like a lot... but actually, if you consider all the other great sources of high protein greens out there, and then mix in other protein sources like nuts. You're not eating an unrealistic amount of vegetables to get to your protein needs just on vegetables.

Some other examples...
  • 1 Cup of Kale - 2g... PQS 92!
  • 1 Cup of Zucchini - 2g... PQS 89!
  • 1 Cup of Sweet Potato - 4g!! PQS 82
  • 1oz Cashews, Raw - 5g - PQS 100!!!! Wow!
  • 1oz Macadamia Nuts - 2g - PQS 4 - Sad Face, but oh well. BUT -- complimentary with Mushrooms which give you 1g per "whole mushroom"
Anyway... I just wanted to throw this out there. I do think its very feasible for a vegan or vegetarian to stay 100% Whole30 compliant and still have a very macro and micro nutrient rich diet.

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Ack! Vegetarian! If you're a moderator and can fix my spelling mistake in the topic title, that would be cool. Thanks!

Done: Tom Denham

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
Note: I’m not a certified nutritionist or any kind of a medical expert. I am however, and expert eater! And I love to think about how to use whole food ingredients to make healthy and nutrient rich meals.

I tried to think about food I like to eat, that’s (afaik) Whole 30 compatible. But doesn’t have any animal products in it, including no eggs. With a goal of getting to 48g of protein, by just eating vegetables. This is what I came up with.

Here's a mini VEGAN (non-lacto-ovo-vegetarian) meal plan I threw together along the lines of thinking above...

This comes to 48g of protein, and about 1500 kCals. You could certainly add in more fruits and other less protein rich vegetables to add more flavor and calories to this meal. You could also add in other fat/oil sources but this still comes out to 50% fat, so it’s actually very “metabolically efficient” too (which would be one of my goals as an endurance athlete, but I didn’t have that in mind when I made this).

The one “concern” I have in this, would be the ¼ cup of cashews. I am not clear on whether or not Dallas and Melissa would say that’s too much nuts. But it’s such a good source of protein for this “all plant” menu, that’s why I included it. I also haven’t calculated the Omega 6:3 ratio for this, but my gut says, it’s probably not too bad.
  • Breakfast:
  • Fruit & Nut Bowl - 11g Protein - ~450 kCals
  • ½ cup melon
  • ½ cup pineapple
  • ½ cup grapes -
  • ¼ cup cashews - 7g
  • ½ cup sweet potatoes - 2g
[*]Lunch:
  • Large Salad - 20g Protein - ~600 kCals
  • 3 cups Romaine - 3g
  • 3 cups Spinach - 3g
  • ½ cup Artichoke Hearts, steamed, chopped - 2g
  • ½ cup broccoli - 2g
  • 1 whole “Florida” avocado - 7g
  • 3 sliced mushrooms - 3g
  • 1 Tbps Olive oil (dressing)
  • 1 Tspn Balsamic Vinegar (dressing)
[*]Dinner:
  • Stir fried greens - 17g Protein - ~500 kCals
  • 4 cups Kale - 8g
  • 3 sliced mushrooms - 3g
  • 1 cup red cabbage - 1g
  • ½ cup bamboo shoots - 4g
  • ¼ cup red onion - 0.5g
  • 4 cloves garlic - 1g
  • 2 Tbsp Coconut Oil
[/list]

MyVegetarianWhole30

MyVegetarianWhole30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
This is AWESOME! Thanks!!!

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth of Kansas City
Holy Cow! That's a huge salad!!! It's actually quite interesting that you posted this as I was just playing around with a meal plan yesterday for the very same thing. Here is what I came up with

Breakfast: Large Green Smoothie -Hemp Protein, 2 cups greens (spinach and kale), Green Apple, Lemon Juice, Avocado, 1/2 cucumber *** I know smoothies are not allowed but I despise salads and I didn't know how else to get the extra protein in.
2-3 eggs
Lunch : Homemade Sunflower Burgers wrapped in Butter Lettuce and topped with Shredded spinach, Salsa, Avocado
Strawberries, Blackberries, and Blueberries
Dinner: A Lot of Broccoli and Carrots Steamed/sauteed in Coconut Oil with red pepper, salt, and black pepper
Butternut Squash with cinnamon and nuts

The sunflower Burgers are made with tons of veg - mushrooms, kale, carrots, lots of bell pepper, etc. They do however have quinoa in them so I need to find a sub for this - maybe crumbled tempeh.
This is merely vegetarian ;) with the eggs. But I couldn't get the calories up without them. As it is, this plan is only at like 900 calories and just meets the protein requirement for my 125lb frame at 54 grams.
I gave this menu a try yesterday and the food was delish, but, I have to be honest that I was hungry all day. The smoothie and eggs did not last my like my egg and side pork breakfast of the last few weeks. I'd love any ideas for tweaking this since I'm thinking about doing this next attempt at Whole as a vegetarian. I start again on Tuesday!
Jtota
"I believe in you!"
http://veganwithasid...n.wordpress.com

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
I think if you're willing to eat eggs... then you should have no problem getting your protein and calorie needs from adding eggs to every meal. There are no provable risks to eating that many eggs, especially when you're eating Whole30.

I agree, that without eggs, that's a lot of vegetables! It's a lot of bulk of food.

To get more calories, I encourage you to add healthy fats... the calories add up, and again, there's really no downside.

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Yes. Fats will help. Just gotta watch myself with nuts- I tend to have no breaks here. As for eggs, I just don't like them enough to eat more than once a day ;)
Jtota
"I believe in you!"

MyVegetarianWhole30

MyVegetarianWhole30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
how do you hold all the veggies to hold together in the burger? I'm with you on the eggs - really don't like them, but can manage a few at breakfast (with LOTS of veggies mixed in!!!) =)

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Brad Hefta-Gaub

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts
A couple thoughts on eggs.

Try to think of eggs as water or milk. Which is to say, just mix them in to anything else you might eat. If you break an egg and mix it in, it will almost disappear into whatever you mixed it into.

For example, lets say you are going to eat some roasted winter squash: butternut, acorn, spaghetti, pumpkin, etc. once you've roasted it enough to scrape it out of the shell, you can mix it in a bowl with a couple eggs. 1/2 cup of squash to two eggs. The eggs will disappear from a texture, flavor, and visual perspective. But not from a nutritional perspective. So take the baked/roasted squash, add the eggs; and then bake it for a few more minutes. You could also fry it together as a hash or mix it and microwave it.

Also consider making a "casserole" or something like a quiche or frittata. If you add enough other veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, squash, onions, kale, etc., the flavors of the vegetables will overwhelm the eggs. The eggs help give the dish structure, and nutritionally they give you protein, but the veggies dominate the flavor and texture.

Other places to hide eggs: mayonnaise. If you haven't already made your own mayonnaise or aioli from scratch, you should try that ASAP! It's a good source of healthy fats and it doesn't taste like eggs but it has egg in it. Unfortunately it doesn't have a ton of protein, but at least it's a new way to eat an egg.

Good luck.

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
Just posted the burger recipe on my blog: http://veganwithasid...ger-perfection/
Keeping veggie burgers together is always a challenge. This worked pretty well though. You can dust them with coconut flour if you need to but I did not for whole30 purpouses. Enjoy!
Jtota
"I believe in you!"

cheetahgirlsurf

cheetahgirlsurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
jtota, thanks for sharing, i'm going to check out your blog. i'm not vegan but vegetarain with soy and gluten intolerances (which i think are off limits for paleo anyway) so i was wondering what to eat and was looking for some guidance with meal planning:)

cheetahgirlsurf

cheetahgirlsurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
jtota, also, soy is off limits for paleo and i believe you're using tempeh in your burgers? or have you adjusted them w/o soy?

Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

jtota, also, soy is off limits for paleo and i believe you're using tempeh in your burgers? or have you adjusted them w/o soy?

Do not eat legumes. This includes beans of all kinds (black, red, pinto, navy, white, kidney, lima, fava, etc.), peas, chickpeas, lentils, and peanuts. No peanut butter, either. This also includes all forms of soy – soy sauce, miso, tofu, tempeh, edamame, and all the ways we sneak soy into foods (like lecithin).

The rules for vegetarians are different then the regular whole30. Tempeh is actually on the preferred shopping list for vegetarians and tempeh is fermented so I believe that makes a difference. Edamame are also allowed for vegetarians. There is a vegetarian shopping list in section for ISWF downloads. Thanks for watching out for me though :)
And thanks for the interest in the blog. I am very new at blogging so it is very rough. It's really meant to be a place for me to keep track of how I am feeling throughout the process. And I can't promise that it will always be focused on vegetarian foods - that's part of the experiment for me ;) Please stop by and feel free to share your thoughts, experiences. I am always learning!
Jtota
"I believe in you!"

cheetahgirlsurf

cheetahgirlsurf

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
oh!! good to know, jtota! i was wondering what the heck i was going to eat as i don't cook fish for myself at home very often.. i just downloaded the veg list. thx!!

Maralo

Maralo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi - I've just stumbled across the Whole 30, but really have trouble eating most meat, for spiritual reasons primarily. I'm very much wanting to find a home here in Whole 9 Land, but am way overstimulated trying to figure this out! I end a 60 juice fast this weekend, and want to start eating again in the WHole 9 spirit of things. Is there a "mostly vegetarian" source I can find to help me figure this out? Thank you! Marjie

Maralo

Maralo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Oh! And what and were is this? "There is a vegetarian shopping list in section for ISWF downloads"

MyVegetarianWhole30

MyVegetarianWhole30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Website for the Whole30 program: http://whole9life.co...egory/whole-30/
Includes rules, shopping lists, etc. Their book, "It Starts with Food" is also worth the read, if you're interested in the logic & science behind the program...makes sense to me! The book also has really handy meal plan ideas & food prep instructions, as well as some really yummy recipes. HIGHLY recommend it!

I'm a vegetarian of 25+ years & am on Day 17 - you can check out my Facebook blog for ideas & support - http://www.facebook....getarianWhole30.

Vegetarians CAN do Whole30...just with a few modifications! I'm feeling better than I have in a LOOOOONG time! Wish I had started sooner!

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts

Website for the Whole30 program: http://whole9life.co...egory/whole-30/
Includes rules, shopping lists, etc. Their book, "It Starts with Food" is also worth the read, if you're interested in the logic & science behind the program...makes sense to me! The book also has really handy meal plan ideas & food prep instructions, as well as some really yummy recipes. HIGHLY recommend it!

I'm a vegetarian of 25+ years & am on Day 17 - you can check out my Facebook blog for ideas & support - http://www.facebook....getarianWhole30.

Vegetarians CAN do Whole30...just with a few modifications! I'm feeling better than I have in a LOOOOONG time! Wish I had started sooner!

Hey I was just checking out your FB page and it is really great! Looks like you are doing so well. I gotta ask - what's the deal with kefir? What is it and what does it taste like? I like the idea of using to mix hemp protien powder vs making a smoothie which is "illegal". And, are you making your own kefir? How does that work?
Jtota
"I believe in you!"

MyVegetarianWhole30

MyVegetarianWhole30

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks! I am making my own kefir. It is soooo easy to make & sooo much cheaper than buying it (if you even have any luck finding any plain, unsweetened/unflavored kefir in the store). You need some kefir grains (about 1 Tbsp per cup of milk) - a friend gave me some, but you can also buy it online, or maybe from a healthfood store. I put the grains & 1 cup of whole organic cow's milk per Tbsp (the grains grow - I started with about 1 T, but now have about 2, so I use 2 cups milk) into a Mason jar. Screw the lid on tight & let sit on the counter (not refrigerated!) for 24 hours. Then pour the kefir through a strainer to catch the grains (I pour over/into my blender), then dump the grains into a clean Mason jar, add 1 cup milk per Tbsp. grains, screw lid tightly, then wait another 24 hours - sooo easy! The grains "eat" the sugars in the milk & ferment it. Similar to what yogurt bacteria do, but yogurt has 7 bacteria and kefir has 30+! Really good for your gut! It tastes pretty much like plain Greek yogurt, but runnier. I was fine drinking it plain, but decided to add the hemp protein and a small amount of frozen berries (to mask the hemp taste) to increase the protein count. - technically it is a smoothie, but I'm drinking it with lots of veggies on the side, and it's the only way I could figure to "tastefully" add the hemp protein into my meals.

jtota

jtota

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
That sounds easy enough. Just have to find the grains. And adjust to buying cow's milk again - haven't done that in a LONG time :P
How are you feeling on your vegetarian Whole 30? DO you think you are getting the same benefits as everyone else?
Jtota
"I believe in you!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users