#21 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 January 2013 - 12:04 AM

You know, it really depends on each person. I tend to wake up at different times on the weekend, too, so my temps may be a bit different then, but not drastic enough that it totally clouds my chart so I can't see the overall patterns. I'd say if you wake up consistently 5 days out of the week, you should be able to get a good picture of the patterns. If you woke up at a different time every day, it may be a different story. I'd say give it a shot 5 days a week, and if things aren't making much sense after a cycle or two, try 7 days a week.

And, yes, I think there's something to taking your temp while you're still in bed. I don't remember why, but that's how I do it. It gives me a minute to snuggle in bed and check my email on my phone while I'm waiting! I have adrenal issues so my temps often drop after I get out of bed - I'm talking within minutes - so I try to be consistent whenever I can. Sometimes I'll have to dart to the bathroom before I can temp, and sometimes I forget, but most of the time, I can manage. I hope you can, too!

#22 sarakinva

sarakinva

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 04:34 AM

Interesting discussion. I retired my BBT after getting pg with my youngest :D But when I was trying to get pg with my first, I bought TCOYF and was totally AMAZED at what I learned about my body and couldn't believe I never learned that stuff in health class in school LOL That book should be required reading for all females (and males for that matter). Thankfully, I don't have to bother charting anymore but if anyone has never done it, you should just out of curiousity. It's so cool to see your temp rise after you O. I always kept the BBT on my nightstand and stuck it in my mouth before I started stirring around. You are measuring .1 degree differences so yes, movement can alter it.

I was supposed to start my cycle on Tuesday (I am on Day 16 of Whole30) but I've only been spotting and just today finally kicked in a little more. Much, much lighter and much less cramping than usual. It would be awesome if it stayed like this but we'll see. Off of hormonal BC, I normally had moderately heavy, painful periods (somewhat better after having kids but my copper IUD sort of made it worse, although not as bad as it used to be!)

#23 sarahjo

sarahjo

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 18 January 2013 - 05:57 AM

This is a great thread. I read TCOYF a few weeks before I started whole30. I started charting just over a month ago and am on Day 16 of my 30. My period is late, but it is always weird. I am so looking forward to tracking my temp over the next few cycles to see how the diet changes it. I plan to do whole30 for at least 3 cycles.

I thought that taking my temp each morning would be really annoying. But the alarm goes off 7 days a week at 7:30 and I take my temp. I actually look forward to it! Most days lately I wake up before the alarm goes off and just take my temp then. So long as it is plus or minus an hour it is fine. Good luck MamaDrew!

#24 MamaDrew

MamaDrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:05 PM

Thanks everyone! My book just came in so I'll go pick it up after work and have a great weekend read!!

#25 Jennifer1991

Jennifer1991

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts

Posted 18 January 2013 - 08:50 PM

I have PCOS and usually only have a period every 8-12 weeks....but today it came early! Like really early. As in 4 weeks to the day from the last one! I'm literally in shock. Long live the Whole30.

#26 jesmadi

jesmadi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 January 2013 - 02:40 PM

Just chiming in to say my whole 30 has been great and I feel great but I just got my period yesterday and for the first time ever I feel like hell. Worse cramps yet, everything hurts and super heavy! Blech... I have read some people have their "best" periods" on whole30 and some have their worst.
Why?
Uhg - I attribute mine to the fact I never got the "carb flu" or any adverse effects of the whole30 and now I am paying for it, lol. (probably not but it makes me feel better)

#27 amylynn

amylynn

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationOrlando, Fl

Posted 19 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I got my period a week early this time, I am using Nuvaring so I'm a little concerned because I am always on time off by no more than a day or so and it's very heavy. Does this diet have any affect on BC?
“All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” - J.R.R Tolkien

#28 MrsStick

MrsStick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:28 AM

I came off my pill BC as I started my W30. This is my first period since coming off and it's not quite amazing but kind of amazing. Before being on BC I had horrible cramps that would take me out of school for a day and super heavy flow. I could go through super tampons in an hour and regularly bled through my pants. Super embarrassing. This one I haven't had cramps and it's been awesome!

The other thing that helped with my pain was switching from tampons to a menstrual cup. I personally use the Diva Cup and adore it. I can go 8 to 12 hours without needing to hit a bathroom. I have two so I can immediately put in the new one before cleaning the other one. Keep an open mind and you might be able to forget you're having your period for 12 hours too!

#29 MrsStick

MrsStick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 782 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 11:29 AM

P.s. the Diva Cup meant that I could wander Nice all day without needing a stash of tampons thus necessitating a purse. It was awesome!

#30 Jessica Reagan

Jessica Reagan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:22 AM

My first experiment with switching over to paleo in May, I made it a whole 2 weeks eating mostly "whole" food and including dairy. I had probably the best period of my life during that time. It was light and no cramping. I'm 18 days into a real whole 30, my first, and my period is a week early and more or less the same. It's not awful but I had to take some IB800 a couple of times and bust out the heating pad. I seriously had no idea why my back and side was hurting so bad! I thought I was getting a UTI, which I'd never had before because of the pain. It was more a burning than cramping and just a bit unusual, in addition to being early I'm hoping that it's a sign my hormones are doing something in there. I know I need more sleep and can do better with my meals but hopefully this is helping my poor hormones somewhat regulate.

#31 runningknitwitmom

runningknitwitmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:50 PM

I am into my second Whole30 (only took one day in between) and my periods are all over the place. I have been fairly regular all my life (26 day cycle). But since January 1st I have had 4 periods. This current one is 8 days today, and still going. Previously my periods were around 3 days, 4 at the most. I am frustrated that it seems to be non-stop. And it's not spotting, it's a full-on period. I have the Mirena, and things had gotten a bit off schedule when I got that, so at first I thought it was from that. But then I found this forum and see that I am not the only one. I guess my question here is, does it get better??? Or am I going to have a constant period? I like to think that as my body heals and adjust things will settle down. I am just afraid that I am going to be bleeding forever at this point :/

#32 Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

With mirena, I had continual bleeding. How long have you been on it?

#33 runningknitwitmom

runningknitwitmom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:15 PM

I have had mine for 2 years now. And my periods had been so much lighter until recently. Now it just won't stop.

#34 bljf1006

bljf1006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTorrington, CT

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

I got my period a week early this time, I am using Nuvaring so I'm a little concerned because I am always on time off by no more than a day or so and it's very heavy. Does this diet have any affect on BC?

I'm on the Nuvaring too, get my period within the same 1-2 day range every month, and I just started my period a week early!! Did you find anything out amylynn? I'm planning on calling my Dr. if I can't find answers...

#35 bljf1006

bljf1006

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationTorrington, CT

Posted 21 February 2013 - 01:40 AM

Ok, so I called my OB-gyn and she said to just continue using my BC as directed. Just in case anyone is wondering :)

#36 yikesbikes

yikesbikes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 08:42 PM

Same exact issue with Nuvaring and the one week early start...did anyone else who experienced this issue have it resolve okay after the next ring cycle? Have been on this form of bc for years now and have never had an early period until now...

#37 wholevern

wholevern

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 03:04 PM

My story is the same as many of the others: early spotting (~12 days early) on day 21 of my whole30. I have been on hormonal pill BC for years and have never experienced spotting.

If I am spotting, does this mean that my BC is ineffective right now? Should I abstain from unprotected sex?

#38 annabel

annabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • LocationWales, UK

Posted 21 July 2014 - 07:44 PM

I've been on the pill for years as well and every time I've cut out grains & dairy my period has come early (within the first few days of starting).  I spoke to the nurse at my surgery about it and she said it wasn't anything to be concerned about.  She also didn't think it had anything to do with diet...  

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users