• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 pureland5

pureland5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:49 AM

I've been Paleo/Whole 9 for about 4 weeks, and my gut has slowed down like nobody's business! I was eating fish, eggs, grains, legumes before this (I was dairy-free), but no chicken, beef, etc., until I started paleo. I'm sure this could be a big factor with the constipation, but I thought I'd have a flatter stomach without all the sugar and lectins. I take probiotics and fish oil daily.

Any tips, please?? Thanks!

#2 Derval

Derval

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4381 posts
  • LocationDublin, Ireland

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

You eating enough veggies, drinking enough water ?

As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world... as in being able to remake ourselves.
Mahatma Gandhi

$5 $10 off your 1st iherb.com order over $40 with my ref code

Whole21 Jun'12  Whole28 July'12

Whole30 #5 Jan '13, #6 June '13

My Post Whole30 Log

Wholly Awesome, August '14

#3 LauraC

LauraC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

Are you eating enough fat? I found that if I didn't eat enough fat things slow right down. Add avocado, oil, mayo etc to everything :-)

People too often forget that it is your own choice how you want to spend the rest of your life. - Rachel Wolchin

#4 Renee Lee

Renee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1953 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 10 April 2012 - 03:09 PM

There isn't really enough information here to determine what could be going on. It could be a lot of things: not enough veggies, not enough fat, your gut bacteria may have yet to catch up with your switch to eating other meat products. Lots of variables, not enough details. What's your typical daily intake like?

#5 pureland5

pureland5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:15 AM

OK, more info! I do have a history of ulcerative colitis, but I've been in remission for about 4 years, and I've managed to get rid of all medications by managing my diet.

I eat a lot of the same foods on a regular basis: eggs, chicken, beef, salmon, sardines for protein; spinach, sweet peppers, broccoli, romaine lettuce, a rare sweet potato; berries (black, blue, raspberries, and strawberries), pineapple, cantelope, pears; and for fats I eat olives, olive oil, coconut butter, avocado, and some nuts (had to cut out nuts this week as a trial because I was getting waaaay too hooked on almond butter and eating it like it was going out of style!). I have to cook most veggies because raw ones in bulk are hard on my gut.

I eat Zone-like portions based upon my lean body mass, but I try to listen to my body and tweak it as needed.

Please let me know what other info would help. Thanks!!

#6 Andrea D.

Andrea D.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:24 AM

I was struggling with the same problem...tried everything! I have since cut my nut intake way down along with my coconut flour use...also have added Betaine HCL with Pepsin with each meal along with a Digestive Enzyme and I've become very regular (YAY!)...I also take probiotics every morning. I really think the HCL and DE are what's working for me though...
Andrea D.

"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels."

#7 pureland5

pureland5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:25 AM

Where do you buy digestive enzymes? I've heard Robb Wolf talk about them, too, but I'm not familiar with brands or recommended dosages. Suggestions?

#8 Tom Denham

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • 5276 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:29 AM

Some people have difficulty with digestion when they change their diet. You could try taking a digestive enzyme like Now Foods Super Enzymes (2-4 capsules per meal). You can read the Whole9 view of them at http://whole9life.co...ments-part-ii/.

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as stuff we have to make do with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

#9 Jeanye Mercer

Jeanye Mercer

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 185 posts
  • LocationWaxahachie, TX

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Pureland5 - I use these http://www.nowfoods....mes/M003112.htm

I purchase them at a local health food store.

Additional supplementation ideas can be found here: http://whole9life.co...ements-part-ii/
Jeanye

#10 pureland5

pureland5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:04 AM

Can't believe I've never tried DEs! I'll give them a go and let you know if I find them helpful. Thank you, everyone!

#11 jakey

jakey

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Locationlos angeles

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

hi, for whatever it's worth, when i went no starch, which is popular in this paleo world, i was not 'regular.' adding back about 100 grams of starch per day (sweet potatoes, taro, green plantains, and fruit) completely solves this issue.

no two guts are alike! but we all know that a healthy flow feels good, so i wish you the best :)
it's a long life... never put yourself in a position where you feel uncomfortable questioning something or changing!

#12 XFitter7

XFitter7

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 01:36 AM

Hi,

I'm hoping for some help!

I am on day 20 of my Whole30 journey and about a week ago, I started getting super bloated all the time. I usually do 'around that time of month' for a couple days, but this has gone on over a week now. I was pretty strict Paleo before starting Whole30, so it wasn't like it was a huge change for me besides cutting out certain snacks and whatnot.

It almost feels like I am constipated, as I haven't been as normal as I used to be... It's extremely frustrating feeling this bloated all day. Any suggestions? I'm open to anything.

Thanks! :) Happy Whole30ing!

#13 pureland5

pureland5

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:25 AM

I tried the digestive enzymes, and the results are AMAZING! No more bloating, and things are moving along...if you know what I mean. Thank you for the suggestion!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users