• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Elehcimyma

Elehcimyma

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 December 2012 - 03:03 AM

I have a medical condition called Leiden Factor V this means my blood clots too much, because of this I will be taking blood thinners for the rest of my life. While on Coumadin (warfarin) I have to avoid all vegetables with Vitamin K which includes a lot! Any advice for this? Anyone else taking blood thinners trying this? Thanks!

#2 roupl

roupl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:56 AM

After briefly searching this forum, I'm surprised that no one else has made mention of anticoagulant therapies and vitamin K restriction! My Mom has the very same genetic condition as you and suffered a pulmonary embolism as a result of it last summer. She now has to be on coumadin (Warfarin) for the rest of her life as a preventative measure for future thromboembolic events. I have been sharing my enthusiam with my mother about the Whole30 challenge and I geuinely think she could reap the benefits of it, but catering to her genetic condition would be tough, as there are A LOT of vegetables she can't have. I would love to see more input on this and I'll definitely pass along some information if I find some.

#3 roupl

roupl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 04 January 2013 - 04:15 AM

List of vegetables I found that are low in vitamin K:

-Artichokes
-Beets (cold beet soup...mmm)
-Green beans
-Carrots
-Cucumber (if peel is removed)
-Eggplant
-Mushrooms
-Onion
-Green pepper
-Radish
-Yellow squash
-Sweet potato (yay!!!)
-Tomato

Also, I have learned that you do not have to necessarily avoid foods with Vitamin K while you're on an anticoagulant therapy, you just have to consume a consistent amount of it. It may be a good idea to discuss your diet with your physician and possibly increase your dosage to compensate for your consumption of Vitamin K.

Hope that helps!

#4 1rmdu1

1rmdu1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2013 - 03:32 PM

I, too, am on Coumadin forever. It's very frustrating when the stuff that's good for you is on the "do not eat" list. Prior to starting this way of eating (last week) I have been able to manage and have good #'s on blood tests. I hope this new way of eating lets me continue good #'s. I am very sedentary because of multiple hip problems, walk with use of a crutch, and want to feel better.That's why I'm here. My son is my supporter, and that's a good thing.

#5 roupl

roupl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:34 PM

Sending positive thoughts your way!

#6 Christine Run CMC

Christine Run CMC

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 October 2013 - 10:41 PM

I am joining this list as of yesterday, I am a warfarin baby. Until I build it up, I am on clexane shots. For no apparent reason to the medical profession, I got Thromboplebitis in a varicose vein in my calf, leading to DVT and noticed my running was crap. CT scan and chest xray later, I have blood clot on my posterior right lung, YAY.

Six months and we will see how I go. I was told to not eat massive amounts of Vitamin K veg as in no cabbage soup diets, no only eating broccoli as my only veg of choice, just regular amounts with other veg.

So I am seeing how I go Whole30

#7 praxisproject

praxisproject

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1512 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, Australia

Posted 18 October 2013 - 01:34 AM

The Vitamin K messes with your warfarin dose (makes you clot more) so altering it up or down may mean you need to alter your warfarin dose to match and your doctor may not want to increase your dose. Some doctors will monitor you and take daily blood tests so you can add in more Vitamin K and adjust the dose accordingly. If you can't take tests daily, be careful when making changes as it can change very rapidly.

Dark green veggies (spinach, kale, cabbage, broccoli) are usually pretty high in Vitamin K, but high amounts of things like lettuce can do it too. Some non-green things have surprising levels of Vitamin K.

Some veggies come in other colours, like white and yellow zucchini.

I'd review this content with your doctor for accuracy, but this page has lots of info:

http://www.healthali...rfarin-diet.php

PostWhole30 in October - Melbourne, Australia - Gluten Intolerant & MTHFR-gene

You can start your own log in just a few clicks. Go to the Forum main page > under Community is Your Whole30 Log > Start New Topic. If you also tick Follow This Topic, you'll get a message when other people interact with your log.
Need portable Whole30 food? great thread. Need recipes? NomNomPaleo & ClothesMakeTheGirl have Whole30 recipes.

AIP, intolerant or allergic? Check out Detoxinista , FeedMeRachel & PaleoMom's AIP Friendly - always check ingredients.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users