Photo

What do you do with yolks after making post WOD egg whites?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Flynn

Flynn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:01 AM

I work out first thing in the morning and I'm planning on having sweet potatoes and egg whites with some spinach for a post workout meal as described in the success guide. When you make egg whites, what do you guys do with your yolks?

Thanks!

#2 Tom Denham

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • 5520 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:17 PM

I think separating yolks and whites is too much work. I would eat chicken breast as my protein and save the whole eggs for later.

You can make mayonnaise with yolks and I would guess that you could scramble them. There is a lot of good nutrition in the yolks, so you don't want to throw them away.

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as stuff we have to make do with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

#3 Summer

Summer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:18 PM

I'd just eat the whole egg and be done with it!

#4 cysgr8

cysgr8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 01:31 PM

I would just eat the whole egg, anyone care to share why this would be bad after work out?

If you have a dog, they love egg yolk's and its great for them, their coat's get very shiny :)

#5 Renee Lee

Renee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1959 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 23 May 2012 - 02:07 PM

Cysgr8, the idea is to avoid fat post workout because you want quick absorption of carbohydrates (which fat delays/hampers).

OP, I agree with Tom...separating eggs is such a pain for me, I'd just go with a hunk of chicken instead. But making mayo's what immediately comes to mind

#6 Johnny M

Johnny M

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 688 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 23 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

If they're quality eggs and for some reason I don't need the yolks they get mixed into cat food for a treat for my furry kids.
Johnny
Check out my recipe blog below. Many are Whole30 compliant or easily adapted. All are delicious.
Eating for Idiots

#7 Andrea D.

Andrea D.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 23 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

For me I just eat the whole egg but I'm working out hard enough right now to warrant a Pre or Post workout meal so my opinion is probably not relevant to your situation... When not doing a W30 those yolks would do nicely in a coconut milk ice cream though! :)
Andrea D.

"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels."

#8 cysgr8

cysgr8

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:40 PM

Cysgr8, the idea is to avoid fat post workout because you want quick absorption of carbohydrates (which fat delays/hampers).

OP, I agree with Tom...separating eggs is such a pain for me, I'd just go with a hunk of chicken instead. But making mayo's what immediately comes to mind

Soooo i guess the coconut/banana milk shake i was drinking after working out isnt a good idea lol. Gosh so much stuff to remember!

#9 Renee Lee

Renee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1959 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:42 PM

it's not a BAD idea, it's just not ideal. get comfortable with the basics THEN start worrying about the tweaks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users