34 replies to this topic

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
  • LocationTwin Cities, MN
Hi everyone, this is my first venture into this section of the forum for myself. Ack!

I've been laid up for the past year (!!!) with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I've been 2 weeks pain free and have started back on my Couch to 5K path.

I did a 25 minute walk today, at a snail's pace, and it took forever. I want to cry. I want to crawl back on the couch. It's warm and comfy there, darn it!

My friend wants me to sign up for a 7K in March. She's got a program all figured out for me, and she's going to WOG (walk/jog, get it?) with me at least 2 days a week at work.

I should be feeling on top of the moon for finally being able to get back out there, you know? Help.
-- Jennifer
Certified Holistic Health Coach, Member AADP
Integrated Family Health

ladyhoward

ladyhoward

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 177 posts
  • LocationHopkins, MI
Hi Jeepifer - I can't imagine what it must've been like for you to be laid up for a whole year with your foot issue. I admire you so much though for getting right back on your 5K path. I'm sure it's frustrating for you to not be right back in the shape you were before your injury, but this will take time. Your body needs to ease back into that kind of activity - if you do too much too fast, you'll be right back on the couch with a new injury. That, I would assume, would be even worse than the frustration you feel right now. You WILL get there. If you do it gradually, your chances of success and actually enjoying the training process for your 7K will be that much greater. I am actually a newbie to running and am still in the WOG (I love that!) phase myself, but I know I'll get to 5K shape eventually. You're going to be at the top of the moon very soon - just keep at it, even if it seems like your improvement is miniscule. You're an inspiration to me - I wish you the best of luck!!
"There is nothing more to it than you and your decision and, from that point on, the decision to not change your mind."

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks! I did sign up for the 7K, since the prices were set to go up at midnight. I'm a little sore today, but not as bad as I thought I'd be, and most importantly, my foot is fine so far. Hooray!!!

Sorry for the whine-y post... I guess I was feeling frustrated and discouraged, and I'd rather come here and complain than go bury my face in old food behaviors. The lesser of two evils? ;)

As an incentive, I'm saving up for a Nike+ Sport Watch -- the cool kind with GPS and everything. Every day I go train, I'm putting $5 in my watch fund. $5 x 4 days/week x 8 weeks = Shiny new watch. :D
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

heathera

heathera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

Hi everyone, this is my first venture into this section of the forum for myself. Ack!

I've been laid up for the past year (!!!) with plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I've been 2 weeks pain free and have started back on my Couch to 5K path.

I did a 25 minute walk today, at a snail's pace, and it took forever. I want to cry. I want to crawl back on the couch. It's warm and comfy there, darn it!

My friend wants me to sign up for a 7K in March. She's got a program all figured out for me, and she's going to WOG (walk/jog, get it?) with me at least 2 days a week at work.

I should be feeling on top of the moon for finally being able to get back out there, you know? Help.

It sounds like you have a ton of motivation!

I'm curious...why did you choose running when you have a foot issue? Have you considered swimming as an alternative, or maybe even on the days when you are in pain? Any local YMCA will probably have an indoor pool, and many have outdoor pools now as well. Maybe that would be another option for you?

Keep up the great work! :D

Alana in Canada

Alana in Canada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Congratulations! I had plantar fascitis for many years--It was awful. I think a 7k run is quite ambitious! And back in September, the longest I could walk was about 10 minutes--so 25 is fantastic!

Listen to your body and you'll be fine. Remember rest days build muscle.

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I'm curious...why did you choose running when you have a foot issue? Have you considered swimming as an alternative, or maybe even on the days when you are in pain? Any local YMCA will probably have an indoor pool, and many have outdoor pools now as well. Maybe that would be another option for you?

I tried all sorts of alternatives -- swimming, biking (at the gym), rowing, but the bottom line was it needed to rest and heal. I was a runner way back in the dark ages (in high school, before the earth's crust cooled) and it's just always been my go-to "I'd like to do that again" sport. I do like to swim, but never did it competitively. But thanks for the suggestion... maybe as I get stronger I'll look into a Triathlon or something!

And it's winter-time here in Minnesota, so outdoor pools aren't a viable option. LOLOL ;)
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

Congratulations! I had plantar fascitis for many years--It was awful. I think a 7k run is quite ambitious! And back in September, the longest I could walk was about 10 minutes--so 25 is fantastic!

Listen to your body and you'll be fine. Remember rest days build muscle.

Thank you! I'd had a bout with it once before, in both feet, but it went away pretty quickly on its own. This one kept hanging on and on. I'm overjoyed to not be limping about anytime I walk more than 5 minutes. :D
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
I went back out again today!
1.45 mi
29 min 18 sec
Pace 20'12" (no land-speed records in danger yet!)

Temp was a brisk 33 degrees (F) with wind chill at 28. I started out with a fleece and jacket but about 1/3 of the way in, the jacket was around my waist and the gloves off. As a native Californian, I never thought I would say I felt warm at freezing temps! :lol:

I also discovered the "workout" playlists on Pandora -- awesome!!! Picked one that sounded good, fired up my Nike+ app, and it was off to the races.
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

Alana in Canada

Alana in Canada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Good for you! I'm not even going to comment on the temperature as I plan on staying firmly indoors. I want to check out those playlists. I work out with videos and one of the drawbacks is that I can't pick the music!

heathera

heathera

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  • LocationNashville, TN

I went back out again today!
1.45 mi
29 min 18 sec
Pace 20'12" (no land-speed records in danger yet!)

Temp was a brisk 33 degrees (F) with wind chill at 28. I started out with a fleece and jacket but about 1/3 of the way in, the jacket was around my waist and the gloves off. As a native Californian, I never thought I would say I felt warm at freezing temps! :lol:

I also discovered the "workout" playlists on Pandora -- awesome!!! Picked one that sounded good, fired up my Nike+ app, and it was off to the races.

I admire your determination, and persistence! I lived in Michigan for two years...yikes! I promised myself I would not ever again live somewhere you have to "snow-blow" the driveway. Love the beauty of the snow though! :D

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Went to the local middle school track today. 1.56 mi @ 19'54" pace -- 31:11 total time. I really wanted to stop that 6th lap! Kept going, pushed on through... My muscles are a little sore but not as bad as last week, thank heavens. Or maybe the endorphin rush hasn't gone away yet? ;)

We were a "balmy" 51 degrees, but the temp is supposed to drop back to *ahem* normal *ahem* tomorrow or Weds. Boo.
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

AmyS

AmyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
I'm planning on starting a C25K with my new year's Whole30. Right now I'm doing a Whole30 leading to Christmas, then off from Christmas to New Year's, then starting a third Whole30 plus C25K. So I'm not there yet but I will be. I admire your determination and I hope to follow that inspiration!

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts

I'm planning on starting a C25K with my new year's Whole30. Right now I'm doing a Whole30 leading to Christmas, then off from Christmas to New Year's, then starting a third Whole30 plus C25K. So I'm not there yet but I will be. I admire your determination and I hope to follow that inspiration!

Thanks, feel free to join on in! I'd love to chat with others doing this same crazy thing. ;)

Any support, encouragement, kudos, or kicks in the backside are welcome!
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

AmyS

AmyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Thanks, feel free to join on in! I'd love to chat with others doing this same crazy thing. ;)

Any support, encouragement, kudos, or kicks in the backside are welcome!

I downloaded a C25K app and I may start trying it out as a slow ramp-up to the experience this weekend. I'll have my golden retriever with me, so I'll need to adjust for Running With Dog - which shouldn't be a problem for my dog, she loves to run.

You can do it! I am good with the first three on your list, and not so into the last bit - unless it's supposed to be kinky. Wait. Different forum... :lol:

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Aww, running with a doggie! I miss my dogs terribly. I have the kids, but since we live in an apartment, the ex has the dogs,. Every once in a while, I'll get dog visitation and we'll go for a nice walk. :)
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Out again today, this time with my coworker. She's the marathon runner, so it's super-sweet of her to walk with me. I know the slow pace must be agonizing for her.

At any rate, today was the best yet -- 1.63 mi @ 18'24" pace and 30:04 mins. Temp was a frosty 32 degrees with windchill at 20. I was more warmly dressed than she was, so we kept circling back to the trail with the most trees to stay out of that icy wind. :lol:

I'm already noticing a huge difference in how I feel. My back barely hurt this walk, my calves weren't cramped up nearly as much, and my pace was faster without me sounding like a freight train huffing and puffing. Hooray for small progress!!!
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

AmyS

AmyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Aww, running with a doggie! I miss my dogs terribly. I have the kids, but since we live in an apartment, the ex has the dogs,. Every once in a while, I'll get dog visitation and we'll go for a nice walk. :)

Bummer about the doggie custody. Doggie walks are nice.

Out again today, this time with my coworker. She's the marathon runner, so it's super-sweet of her to walk with me. I know the slow pace must be agonizing for her.

At any rate, today was the best yet -- 1.63 mi @ 18'24" pace and 30:04 mins. Temp was a frosty 32 degrees with windchill at 20. I was more warmly dressed than she was, so we kept circling back to the trail with the most trees to stay out of that icy wind. :lol:

I'm already noticing a huge difference in how I feel. My back barely hurt this walk, my calves weren't cramped up nearly as much, and my pace was faster without me sounding like a freight train huffing and puffing. Hooray for small progress!!!

Congrats!!!!!

KatieOz

KatieOz

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMarlborough, MA
Jeepifer - my husband is a marathon runner, when we first started dating I was NOT a runner and was really intimidated at the idea of running with him (I could only do a Run/walk combo at that time). It took me a while to realize that he just liked running with me, even if it was at a MUCH slower pace than what he would normally run :) Your co-worker probably feels the same way, she's just enjoying the run and your company :)
Ronald Lynch: The question was "Who wrote Hamlet?" You wrote "The Pope's cousin, Count Pope-ula, a magical monster with pencils for arms".
Brendon: I'll be honest, Mr. Lynch. I made that one up.

jeepifer

jeepifer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 136 posts
Thanks, Amy and Katie! :)

I'm a little sore today. My back's hurting. Owie. I think I'll take today off from WOG and do some bodyweight exercises instead. I need to dust off my "You are your own gym" book.

I'll give the MuscleTrac a good workout on my legs too, and stretch out my back really well. If the kiddos cooperate, I may even take a hot bath and then stretch. That would feel really good!
-- Jennifer
Integrated Family Health

AmyS

AmyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts
I haven't officially started, but I had a sort of bewildering experience this morning. Yesterday I had a very long day at work - it's something that comes around once a semester and I usually deal with it by downing massive amounts of caffeine. I'm not doing that this semester, and I found I had more energy than I expected.

So today I woke up and while I felt tired from the day before, I had so much energy I got out of bed and took the dog for a walk!

This would never have happened before Whole30. Never.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users