#1 Ripcord_Jennie

Ripcord_Jennie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • LocationPortland, ME

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Hey all,

I'm only on day four of my first Whole30 (and also on day four of eating meat for the first time in 16 years), and while I haven't cased every store and haven't had a chance to get to the farmer's market (it's on Saturday!), I have had a really hard time finding bacon that doesn't have added sugar, either as raw sugar, cane juice, or turbinado sugar. I'm having NO trouble finding nitrate-free, hormone free bacon.

Seems like bacon factors into a lot of Whole30 recipes, so I'm wondering if people have a brand (and where to find it) that they like? Or just stick to farmer's markets? Or do they need to use sugar to cure it, too (I don't know meat-talk)?

I want bacon. Tips welcome!

#2 Johnny M

Johnny M

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 688 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:45 PM

Jennie - if you happen to be in San Francisco I have a local answer. Otherwise you can buy online here http://www.grassland...ef & Pork Bacon
Johnny
Check out my recipe blog below. Many are Whole30 compliant or easily adapted. All are delicious.
Eating for Idiots

#3 dboothsummers

dboothsummers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 92 posts
  • LocationDurham, NC

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:27 PM

i have asked every single vendor at my local farmer's market. all have sugar. i found ONE among a few dozen varieties of sausage among vendors that doesn't have sugar. (hot italian links). i can get local ground pork easily, though. and i got some fresh belly today!! mmmm
Food: "Just because it's edible doesn't mean it's food."
Workout: "Move your butt, Deb. Your head quits a whole lot faster than your legs."

#4 Summer

Summer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 165 posts
  • LocationColorado

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:21 AM

Johnny M is right! U.S. Wellness Meats has the sugar free bacon thanks to Dallas and Melissa Hartwig! I finally ordered some. It looks different and tastes a bit different, but it is still pretty good!

Here is the article for more details - -

http://whole9life.co...-bacon-is-here/

#5 DNONeill812

DNONeill812

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 25 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

Kroger's Harwood Smoked "Low Sodium" brand is also sugar-free and very affordable.

#6 Tom Denham

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • 5395 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Back in 2010 I found several varieties of bacon without sugar in several different stores... then I couldn't. It's been more than a year since I've found sugar-free bacon. I haven't been looking lately, but I guess it's time to poke around again.

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as stuff we have to make do with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

#7 Katy

Katy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 11:11 PM

Kirkland brand from costco has low sodium sugar free bacon!

#8 Monique Cheney

Monique Cheney

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 May 2012 - 06:45 PM

I had this same question. All the bacon I saw at my local store had sugar in it the same for all the breakfast sausage. I decided that I'll just use ground pork or ground turkey in the morning instead. The only probably I had with the turkey is that it's dry but I think its because I let it cook to long in the oven.

#9 Mykelogan

Mykelogan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationProvidence, RI

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:01 PM

I could not find nitrate/chemical free Sugar free bacon anywhere around me, so I decided to try and make my own. Followed this recipe:

http://jensgonepaleo...made-bacon.html

Whoa, turned out truly fantastic! Not sure I will ever buy bacon again. It's a bit of work but figured some of the more adventurous out there might tackle it too!

#10 Laura Semmens

Laura Semmens

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:49 PM

I also made my own

http://paleoperiodic...n-bacon-part-1/

And have already ordered another pork belly. Fantastic!

#11 Johnny M

Johnny M

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 688 posts
  • LocationSan Francisco

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

I haven't tried making it yet but it's a great idea. I find that making some things at home rather than buying them prepared makes me appreciate and enjoy them more and also kind of connects you to your food in a way I think is meaningful and important.
Johnny
Check out my recipe blog below. Many are Whole30 compliant or easily adapted. All are delicious.
Eating for Idiots

#12 JimS

JimS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  • LocationPortland, Or

Posted 11 May 2012 - 05:54 PM

It's so hard to find sugar free bacon locally and I don't want to make time to do it myself, so I basically gave up on bacon during my Whole30. I love it as much as anyone, but there are enough other foods I enjoy that I don't miss it (too much)!

#13 Lalalana

Lalalana

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 47 posts
  • LocationGulf Coast, AL

Posted 02 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

So I hate to beat a dead horse here, but the bacon I have in my fridge lists sugar as an ingredient but doesn't show it in the nutritional breakdown, i.e. no actual grams of sugar. What gives? On day 3 of my first Whole30 and I want to get this right, but I have two packs of this stuff and can't really afford to go out and replace it-do I freeze it for a month? Help!

#14 Andrea D.

Andrea D.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs

Posted 02 June 2012 - 02:54 PM

Yep, I'd freeze it. I have found that my favorite bacon now is the Sugar-Free Bacon from US Wellness...it is so good and W30 approved. When I'm not on a strict W30 in a pinch I will buy Applegate Farms Organic Sunday Bacon which does list sugar in the ingredients but not in the nutritional label...I've been told that the sugar is used in the curing process but that once it is cooked most of the sugar cooks out which is why it doesn't show up on the label...
Andrea D.

"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels."

#15 habitualpurpose

habitualpurpose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 308 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:19 PM

Jennie - if you happen to be in San Francisco I have a local answer. Otherwise you can buy online here http://www.grassland...ef & Pork Bacon

Johnny, where did you find it in San Francisco? I'd love to know!!
~ Nina

"It is the set of the sails not the direction of the wind that determines your course." ~ Jim Rohn
I'm setting my sails for a healthy life.

#16 Tom Denham

Tom Denham

Whole9 Moderator/First Whole30 May 2010

• Moderators
  • 5395 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:31 PM

I started using prosciutto in place of bacon because I could find prosciutto that was just pork and salt. It is not a perfect substitute, but it tastes pretty good in it's own right.

Do you know the forum rules? Review them at http://forum.whole9l.../6-forum-rules/

I think the value of doing a Whole30 is to begin seeing meat, fish, eggs, veggies, and fruit as the good stuff and to start thinking of everything else as stuff we have to make do with occasionally. 

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

#17 Melany Anderson

Melany Anderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 28 June 2012 - 12:54 AM

I just saw some at BJs

#18 Renee Lee

Renee Lee

Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 1953 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Posted 28 June 2012 - 02:02 PM

So I hate to beat a dead horse here, but the bacon I have in my fridge lists sugar as an ingredient but doesn't show it in the nutritional breakdown, i.e. no actual grams of sugar. What gives? On day 3 of my first Whole30 and I want to get this right, but I have two packs of this stuff and can't really afford to go out and replace it-do I freeze it for a month? Help!

The FDA labeling requirements say that if the amount of sugar (or anything) in a serving is less than 1g, they're allowed to put "0g" of that substance, but they STILL have to list it on the ingredients. A lot of companies shrink serving sizes to take advantage of this loophole. Your bacon is still probably a good choice post Whole30, but for now it's out.

#19 RobS

RobS

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:22 AM

I have a sugar free option here in Tasmania Australia but it lists sodium nitrate and mineral salts and an antioxidant are these just preservatives that might effect my whole 30?

#20 Naomi

Naomi

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:54 PM

Monique, when I make ground turkey or ground chicken, I add a little bit of coconut milk (can) and that keeps it moist. I use more of the milk when I make lettuce wraps - ground turkey/chicken, curry powder, kale, carrots, etc...

I had this same question. All the bacon I saw at my local store had sugar in it the same for all the breakfast sausage. I decided that I'll just use ground pork or ground turkey in the morning instead. The only probably I had with the turkey is that it's dry but I think its because I let it cook to long in the oven.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users