Help! What do you do with it?

Alicia Jaybird

Alicia Jaybird

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 52 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL
I like it raw, peeled and sliced into match sticks. It tastes like a less sweet, crunchier pear! If you like something crispy on your salad, it's adds a nice texture.
Alicia
I'm a recent college grad, aspiring radical homemaker, and Paleo eater on a shoestring budget. Check out HumbleFoodie.com for recipes for new cooks and experienced foodies alike (including a Paleo/Primal Recipe Index)!

Maycat

Maycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
Slice them into sticks, sprinkle them with lime juice, salt, and whole30 compliant chili powder. Eat them with carrots. Dip them in guacamole.

Buttoni

Buttoni

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTemple, TX
I've just started my Whole30.....Day 2. Transitioning to Paleo from Atkins low-carb. I do a great deal of cooking and use jicama in lots of recipes. This salad is an easy favorite that meets Whole30 guidelines that you might like: http://buttoni.wordp...ama-mint-salad/
Peggy's Recipe website: http://buttoni.wordpress.com/

Andrea D.

Andrea D.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs
Well Fed has a great recipe for Jicama Home Fries, made them last week...YUM! I use them for hash browns and as a crust for a breakfast pie.
http://simplylivingh...-breakfast-pie/
Andrea D.

"Nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels."

Meg Hamilton

Meg Hamilton

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina
I made the jicama potato salad a few days ago from Well Fed. it was very good, I left out the bacon since I hadn't received my order from US Wellness Meats yet. Anyway, when she says to chop the jicama in 1/2 inch pieces, you need to do it!! I had a hard time cutting up my raw jicama & could only manage 1 inch cubes. When mixed with the other salad ingredients, it really would've been better with smaller jicama pieces. But after cutting it again, it was very tasty!!

splash883

splash883

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationChester, VA
Ok. As a total newbie at this, I bought a jicama the other day. I thought I'd venture out and try something new. I did the research for peeling and serving ideas. No one said anything about choosing a good one or storage. I had no idea that I was supposed to refrigerate it. I thought it would be treated like a potato--no. I cut it up and it had brown spots all over the inside. Brown spots all over are bad. So I guess the moral of the story is this: pick a smaller jicama w/no wet spots or other noticeable markings on the outside. The bigger ones tend to be more fibrous, not as flavorful. Dang. I wish I would've known this sooner. <_<

kb0426

kb0426

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1389 posts
  • LocationMinnesota
I am so glad you posted this! I recently bought jicama for the sole purpose of Well Fed's jicama home fries. I simmered them in my crock pot for the 24 hours, and then the next day attempted to home fries. Epic fail! It was still crunchy! I bet it was because this bad boy was MASSIVE.

I learn something new every day!

LandShark

LandShark

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationToronto
I don't even know what a jicama is! I can't find em anywhere - not the regular grocery store, not the weirdo grocery store. Do I need to venture to an Asian market? Would they be in the squash/potato/rooty things section?

splash883

splash883

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 57 posts
  • LocationChester, VA
I found this at the regular grocery store in a bin near the floor, under the potato section. Google it for good pictures. It reminds me of a larger, flatter rooty potato. :blink: You'll see what I mean. It was a bit expensive, I thought. Good luck! BTW, I looked up the pronunciation: hee-kah-mah. I know...I just can't help it!

Rara1982

Rara1982

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia
i dont think we can get these in australia and im so keen to try one!

Runningforme82

Runningforme82

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • LocationIllinois
You're suppose to refrigerate them???!!!! Crap, I have one sitting on the counter!
~Danielle~

"BE YOUR OWN KIND OF BEAUTIFUL!"

Susan W

Susan W

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4862 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

You're suppose to refrigerate them???!!!! Crap, I have one sitting on the counter!

No worries. I don't refrigerate mine until it's peeled and prepped and I do it because I love them crispy and cold.

"Let food be your medicine" Hippocrates

melbournegirl

melbournegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2325 posts
I was wondering if they are in oz too....

ckcc7

ckcc7

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Really hoped the jicama fries recipe from well fed would work, but after 24 hours in the crock pot I felt like all the flavor had been sucked out of the veggie and I was left with a moth full of crispy water. What can I do with these now? I tried to fry them up in a stir fry but their flavor was like eating an old shriveled parsnip. Should they be fully soft after crockpotting for a day?!

Maycat

Maycat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Love jicama, but I have found some stores don't have very good ones. Here in Northern California the jicama at Winco isn't very good, and is coated with wax (yuck). I go to Raleys and their jicama is fresh and wax-free. Sometimes if it has sitting too long it gets moldy, sour, or yucky brown spots.  I love eating it raw, and haven't brought myself to cook it yet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users