• You cannot reply to this topic
25 replies to this topic

Lhasa mama

Lhasa mama

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationFL

How often do you eat red meat? I just ordered half cow.

I can find grass finished ground beef at a grocery store but not all the parts that I like.

So today I went ahead and ordered a half cow (1/4 option isn't available) from a local farm.

For a long time I intentionally avoided red meat consumption due to the traditional belief that it's bad for you. Also, animal welfare was another big concern.

Since I began Paleo diet a month ago, I have had beef twice. Mostly because I couldn't find grassfed beef conventionally.

Anyway, I am not used to eating red meat often and I am still hesitant to eat it more than once or twice a week at the most. I guess I am still bit skeptical even though it's a grass finished cow.

Is there such thing as too much red meat?

Roz Griffiths

Roz Griffiths

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 834 posts
To me, meat is meat. I'd happily eat minced beef with veg & eggs at breakfast, minced beef in leftover bolognese sauce for lunch & a steak for dinner, & I'd never stop to think I'd eaten a lot of cow that day - it's just protein :)

amberino21

amberino21

Whole9 Moderator Team

• Moderators
  • 2,410 posts
Probably 3 times a week :)

Actually....I lie! Beef probably 3 times, kangaroo probably twice :)

EricaV

EricaV

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

about 3 times a week feels good to me- am lucky enough to have a good supply of free range, grass fed or even wild meat from a friendly local hunter. wow, the difference in taste is amazing! and to think I used to be vegetarian ....

holly262

holly262

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

I do buy local grass fed beef from a farm I trust. That being said, I have always liked hamburgers and taco meat over chicken. I make a big pot of taco seasoned beef every week and use that as a staple for a quick scramble type meal, so I am probably eating beef once a day.

Colleen Roy

Colleen Roy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire
3-5 times a week? I don't really keep track of it. I just pay attention to making sure I have a protein source in every meal.

Bet

Bet

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  • LocationBuford, Georgia

I'd say 3-4 times a week. I'm having some grass fed beef tonight. If you do have good grass fed beef, it is superior to grain fed beef and actually good for you. You get all the good benefits of beef without all the 'bad stuff'

Just curious, do you have a chest freezer? How much room does 1/2 a cow take up?

Tom Denham

Tom Denham

Frequently Grumpy Whole9 Moderator

• Moderators
  • 4,256 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, Georgia, USA

Eating beef at every meal is compatible with good health. The nutritional profile of beef is far superior to that of chicken and pork, so you should eat much more beef than either chicken or pork. The chicken marketers have beaten the beef marketers for many years now, so most people think of chicken as healthy, but the meat of a good, grass-fed cow is higher in omega3 fatty acids and provides a better balance of what your body craves. I recommend eating beef or lamb at least 5 days per week in my meal planning guide: http://www.wholelife...planning-table/

Browse 400 Whole30-compliant recipes at
Tom Denham's http://www.wholelifeeating.com

Moderator since before the Whole30 Forum existed

aliciadunn

aliciadunn

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Actually....I lie! Beef probably 3 times, kangaroo probably twice :)

Amerbino - I'm giving kangaroo a try for the first time this weekend. I don't want to sidetrack this message thread, but I would love some tips on how to cook it properly!! I am worried that it will be too chewy/tough.

WholeBunchOJunk

WholeBunchOJunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

I eat beef at least once a day, sometimes two times (as in today).  I too have always preferred beef over other meats.

SpinSpin

SpinSpin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 460 posts
  • LocationNevada

I eat beef several times a week, followed up with chicken and fish. I love liver and just need to remember to have it more often

amberino21

amberino21

Whole9 Moderator Team

• Moderators
  • 2,410 posts

Amerbino - I'm giving kangaroo a try for the first time this weekend. I don't want to sidetrack this message thread, but I would love some tips on how to cook it properly!! I am worried that it will be too chewy/tough.

I usually use it in slow cooked things - like curry, or whiz the steaks in my food processor to make mince for bolognese, or chilli.

Because its so lean, it's easy to make it tough I you cook it in a pan - If I do cook the steaks as is, I'd marinate them for a while, and also cook them medium rare - definitely not something you want well done!

Vanniek71

Vanniek71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationColorado

i dont police it but it is usually daily, or every other day at least, unless I bulk cook some other protein source.

Good call on half a cow though, saves you a ton of money in the long run and the meat quality is superior in my experience.

Vanniek71

Vanniek71

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationColorado

I usually use it in slow cooked things - like curry, or whiz the steaks in my food processor to make mince for bolognese, or chilli.

Because its so lean, it's easy to make it tough I you cook it in a pan - If I do cook the steaks as is, I'd marinate them for a while, and also cook them medium rare - definitely not something you want well done!

Where would one find Kangaroo in the states? Sorry for thread jack!

Nico

Nico

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • LocationColorado

Where would one find Kangaroo in the states? Sorry for thread jack!

Sprouts, sometimes.

What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

First Whole30 completed 3/19/2013

Success story: http://forum.whole9l...ol-of-diabetes/

Current Whole30: http://forum.whole9l...-act-3-scene-7/

AmyS

AmyS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Only on a Whole30 forum would a question about beef evolve into a conversation about sourcing kangaroo.  :lol:

amberino21

amberino21

Whole9 Moderator Team

• Moderators
  • 2,410 posts
And I can't help! It's not hard to find in Australia ;)

srice11

srice11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Usually for at least one meal per day. GF beef is easy to find where I am and it's delicious.

Physibeth

Physibeth

Whole9 Moderator Since Jan 3, 2014

• Moderators
  • 3,042 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

I regret 2 things about my visit to Australia: not trying Kangaroo and trying vegimite. ;)

I try to eat beef or lamb at least one meal per day. Usually ends up being lamb on M,W,F and beef Tu, Th, Sa, and Su.

Bethany

My 1st W30 Log: http://forum.whole9l...30-log-finally/

My Post W30 Log: http://forum.whole9l...s-post-w30-log/

"Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all of your
ways acknowledge Him, and He will make your paths straight." - Proverbs 3:5

amberino21

amberino21

Whole9 Moderator Team

• Moderators
  • 2,410 posts

vegemite is awesome! although we don't eat a lot anymore as we haven't had bread regularly in ages :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users