73 replies to this topic

ChikomoFitness27

ChikomoFitness27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDFW

that is great topic...I was planning to ask you about menstrual cycle. Thank you for your bringing up! I am on pms now and I have no problem. now is day 3. I am looking forward to see more days until end of 30 day. 

askins

askins

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  • LocationDenver Foothills, CO

I was a late ovulator with a short luteal phase prior to whole30.  This cycle during my first whole30, I ovulated on Day 15, had a 13 day LP, and a 28 day cycle!  Incredible!  My whole30 period seems similar, maybe slightly lighter, to my periods before.  I've had somewhat less cramping.  No PMS to speak of.

Whole30 #1 ~ 9Jul-7Aug 2013 ~ Log ~ Results

Whole50 #2 ~ 19Aug-7Oct 2013 ~ Log

xewNm6.png

JPet21

JPet21

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

I have PCOS and have never had regular periods. Since having my two children (who are 2 and 6 mo) I've had one about every two months or so. I'm on day 10 of my whole30 and bam! got my period today on day 24 of my cycle. I did feel slightly bloated yesterday and was wondering if somehow I had eaten something non-compliant by accident. I knew that wasn't possible, but now I know what the cause was. It will be interesting to see what happens from now on.

Whole Amy

Whole Amy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  • LocationArlington VA

I am on day 30 of Whole30 and my period is 5 days late already....not sure when it will come, but I feel more bloated and have felt for a week now that it will come anyday.  It is quite weird....I was pretty regular before.  I don't think I have lost any weight....must jsut be from the food choices.

I did not come here to continue to feel crappy, have stomach issues and an maintain my obsession with sugar!   Change is hard, but TOTALLY WORTH IT!!!

DubyaWife

DubyaWife

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationBaton Rouge, LA

I'm on Day 26.  I've been on BC for 13 years (yeah I know... I'm going off it as soon as the hubby gets the vasectomy).

I started spotting about a week earlier than usual, while on the pill... that never happens.  Plus I had horrible cramps.  

This morning I had to drag myself out of bed ...I am so tired. And this is after having tigerblood all last week.  :(

ChikomoFitness27

ChikomoFitness27

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 50 posts
  • LocationDFW

I can see that...I missed my period..It was supposed to come out yesterday or today. I guess I have to wait until it resumes again after w30..or so?

alissafoo

alissafoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationBoston, MA

Hi, I am also so glad to have found this topic.  Since I was 13, I've had horrible cramps, pms, and like a 6 day heavy flow. I have been on BC for the past five or so years, and hardly ever get a period or any symptoms of my period anymore (slightly concerning, but I wasn't going to complain).  I was on day 9 of my W30 when I woke up feeling crappy, ravenous, headachy and tired. I had had a massive charley horse the night before (which has never happened to me, and took some ibuprofen, so I thought it might be that).  But then (sorry if this is TMI) went to the bathroom and realized I was bleeding a little bit, like spotting...interesting, a sign of a period! It hadn't even occured to me.  I also have acid reflux and the symptoms were HORRIBLE like nothing I have had before, last night. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced this?  So, while not bad, I would say that my menstraul symptoms are WORSE right now.  Although, I will feel WAY better if they go away after my period does and I know that's what it was.

check out my W30 blog: http://alissafoo.wordpress.com/

Evalily

Evalily

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

My period came about 8 days early on Whole 30.  Normal length.  My next period came when I expected it.  I wish they were shorter and less heavy!  That hasn't happened but glad the last one didn't come 8 days early!

kate32

kate32

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

This is facinating.  I got my period yesterday, on day 4 of the Whole30... I wasn't due for another 4-6 days at least, so I was shocked (acutally thought it might be implantation bleeding at first).  But, being on the Whole30 for only 3-4 days seems pretty unrealistic in terms of affecting my cycle so quickly, right?

Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
Nope, not unrealistic at all! Your period is triggered by a drop in hormones (progesterone). If your hormones drop enough for any reason, bam, your period starts. Diet CAN cause a drop in hormones that fast.

Based on what you said about potential implantation bleeding, I'll assume you're not on birth control and had already ovulated this month. Had you started the whole 30 earlier in your cycle, your period likely wouldn't have appeared so soon.

The first time I changed my diet (not paleo at the time - insulin resistance diet), my period started 3 days later and I didn't have a fraction of the normal pain due to endometriosis. It happened that fast. Not the same as what you experienced, but it was a testament to a jump start of the hormone changes!

Molly-olly-toxin-free

Molly-olly-toxin-free

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationHood River, OR

I'm more than 2 weeks late on my period! And very confused by it. I know for sure I'm not preggers, but I have had bouts of pms throughout these past two weeks and just want to get the whole deal over with! I started the Whole30 July 22nd and am still going strong. Before starting Whole30 I was "basically Paleo" for about a year and a half, so I don't feel like my eating habits have changed that much during Whole30...at least compared to lots of people. Maybe I am eating more fat and having more square meals. And the main things that I ate sometimes were dairy and sugar. Could those have such a huge affect on things? It's pretty frustrating, especially when I never know what to contribute to pms or not. Have I been having random feelings of pms throughout the past 2 weeks or am I just tired sometimes and consequently less able to control my cravings? 

Also, I used to have a pretty regular period that lasted 2-3 days (I know I'm lucky in that sense). However, since eating a more Paleo diet I feel like my pms has gotten a little worse. That could also just be being more in tune with things.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some feedback and vent out my frustrations to some folks who might understand. Thanks for reading my rant :) 

And I will definitely be having sweet potatoes for dinner tonight.

melbournegirl

melbournegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
One of the success factors of my whole30ing was re establishing my cycle after stopping BC. Had about 8 months straight of quite regular cycles after none for 14 months then only two in the subsequent six months before my first whole 30. Then the last couple of months I have been doing whole 30 s with and without coffee for a few weeks. Last cycle was 9 days! late and this one has just come 8 days early... What the???

freelei

freelei

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
  • LocationNoVA

i'm on day 22 of whole30 and i'm not due for my period for another week, but i just now discovered that i'm spotting...which never ever happens. i've been on bc for 5 years and have always gotten my period on the same day. i came on here to search the forum about changes in menstrual cycle and found this, which comforts me a little. still, it concerns me. no one has addressed the science behind it (minus the bit about hormones, thanks to karen a couple posts above). what is going on? does anyone know of any scientific facts relating to this? i just don't want to keep this up if it's bad for my menstrual cycle.

if we can't find anything good, i fortunately have a gyno appointment on monday so maybe i'll be able to gather answers from her.

-lovelei

Karen

Karen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

In general, my observations are that women on hormonal BC find their period comes early when they make diet changes.  Women that aren't on hormonal birth control often experience late periods.  Here's a post where I went into detail about why diet changes mess up hormones, both for those on BC and those that aren't: http://forum.whole9l...d-8-days-early/  I'm very passionate and a little long-winded when it comes to hormones, so my apologies.   :)

Freelie - I'd suspect your doctor won't have much to say.  Although doctors often recommend diet changes to women with PCOS to help balance hormones and regulate cycles, they typically don't apply that same logic to other populations of women.  As a result, they often don't have an explanation for period changes due to a clean diet...  Most doctors that I've talked to are clueless and think hormones and diet are mutually exclusive.  *smacks forehead.  

To be clear, diet changes like this are not bad for your menstrual cycle.  They really aren't.  The changes may cause different things to happen in your body than they have before, but isn't that the point of eating clean?  To get your body back into balance?  I mean, there's loads of info in ISWF about hormones because of this!  Think of this early period as a sign that things are working out the way they should.  Getting your period early is a hiccup along the way and it won't be permanent!  

melbournegirl

melbournegirl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,166 posts
I reread your other post Karen, very good! And also explained why I now seem to get the night sweats a day or two before my now natural cycle starts

alexasaurusrex

alexasaurusrex

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationFoxboro, MA

I'm so happy I found this thread! I have PCOS and haven't had a regular cycle since high school. A few months ago I started training for a half marathon and my cycle came back without any metformin (I'd stopped taking it because my sugars had leveled out). Before doing Whole 30 I missed August and was concerned my diabetes and high sugars were coming back. It's day 9 and my cycle started this morning! I have some cramps but usually I'm in a ball by now and I can't move my legs. Strange I know, but my quads feel dead the first two days of my period and I can't do much.

B) Alex

Farrah

Farrah

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

This was very reassuring to find! I am only on day 6 of the Whole30 and my period is late by 3 days so far. I went paleo about 6 days before starting this. I've always known food can impact us our health (been gf/df and eating predominantly organic for 3 yrs) and wellbeing but I didn't expect such a drastic and almost immediate impact. I'm just amazed. I really am. Echoing the sentiments of others, I would think soy is the biggest culprit as that, in addition to the grains, is what I have mostly cut out. That being said, I wasn't really eating much in terms of grains prior to going Whole30. I have also opted to cut out nuts for my whole30 and a lot of tuberous veggies (echoing more of an SCD slant to this diet..not a full on autoimmune protocol, but close enough).

misserrka

misserrka

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

I too have experienced changes. I am on a birth control pill that has the lowest dose of hormones (I never had heavier periods) and I take a continuous cycle. I'm on day ten of my first whole thirty and the last couple of days I have gotten my period when its not time for it. I was worried about this so I called my health care provider and she informed me that not only does my body just need a period sometimes, but that the change in my diet can certainly effect hormones in the way that I have described.

Also as I read in the book, people experience more vivid dreams and let me tell you this was certainly true last night. I had a few that were actually related to my period, and they were honestly like those dark somewhat twisted movies. Is it normal to not have the most delightful dreams during this phase?

BeckieSays

BeckieSays

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

I'm on day 9 & I have had some profound things go on - one is that my period is 4 days early (not on birth control.)  Also had zero PMS symptoms.  Like normally I'm inhaling chocolate/sugar/gluten & moody.  Now I'm just having a slightly crampy period.  Nifty.

Amanda Thomas

Amanda Thomas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts
  • LocationStarkville, Mississippi

Ummm. I did my first Whole 30 in September 2012 and didn't get my period again for 3 MONTHS. (I went back to eating bad food almost immediately after the 30 days were up. I'm 30 yrs old today.)

It wasn't any inconvenience then as I wasn't sexually active so I had no worries. But now I want to do another whole 30 in January (and hopefully the good habits will stick!) and I'm sexually active, and while I'll of course take precautions, I don't want to constantly be worried I could be pregnant. Is there anything I can do to keep my monthly pal around?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

members, guests, anonymous users